Monday 11 July 2016

SUMMER READING LIST!

I love reading so much, but sometimes I don't find the time in the day to read. Not because I'm super busy just because I never find the time, do you know what I mean?

Anyways I love reading literature books and I recently looked at some reading lists for some universities that I am interested in going to. I then picked off 5 books and ordered them of amazon. I got a great deal with them as well with all 5 books costing £9.55.

The first book I am currently reading is:

To the Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf 
I am loving this book so far, although it is hard to follow. I love Woolf's style of writing as it is so different to modern writers. Her writing is so well thought out and it doesn't feel rushed at all as it is so well written. The plot although is hard to follow as Woolf doesn't really address her characters fully so I sometimes get confused as to who she is writing about. Other than those few things that I am working on I am loving this book. Woolf has a good knack of describing surroundings so you can imagine you are there which then allows the reader to completely submerse themselves within her interesting writing.

Emma - Jane Austen 
This book will be the first I have read of Jane Austen - long overdue I know. However I haven't started it yet but having just read the blurb I know I am going to love it! It says that Austen 'teased' readers, this then makes me intrigued in to the book as I want to know how she 'teased' us! It also has a small description of Emma on the back and I can somewhat relate to her. She is described as an 'imaginist' which I can resonate with. I can't wait to read this book, I didn't want to read Pride and Prejudice as I felt it too common amongst reads and I wanted to try something different.

Hamlet - William Shakespeare 
I cannot wait to start this play for many reasons. One being is that I love Shakespeare's writing and his style. He obviously writes in old english which means his plays are new experiences for the modern reader. I have studied in depth some of Shakespeare plays in Year 10,  and I found it really interesting to learn about the language used in his plays. Another reason why I love his work is because he was born not to far away from me! Under a hours drive and there I am in Stratford upon Avon, I have also been to the RSC to see some plays performed. If you are tourist or just someone who is interested in him and his life I definitely recommend Stratford upon Avon. The houses haven't been renovated so they all look old and I'm sure you can see the house William grew up in (I really want to go)!

Bleak House - Charles Dickens
I am going to be totally honest with you guys, this is the book that I am least looking forward to read. First off it's size, with 740 pages and 67 chapters it scares me, a lot. The title doesn't help as well - 'Bleak' which makes me fear that the book may also be 'Bleak.' However I doubt that as it's Dickens and he is one of the most famous novelists out there. From reading the blurb alone I am already intrigued as it says that the story is a complex mystery, which I love! It also says that it follows the laws corruption and the city's dark underworld. If that doesn't pull you in I don't know what will! I am kind of looking forward to reading this book I just know if the plot bores me in any way that I will not continue it because it is soooooooo long!

Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
I have high hopes for this book as I have heard some raved reviews and as a result I am looking forward to reading this book. It's seems to follow many characters one of them being the narrator - an orphan with no hope and dreams and his journey into a man with depth of character. The main focus is one character and their discovery of the truth about themselves. I am also looking forward to reading this book as I feel as though this will help me to appreciate the life I now live because it is so easy to take everything for granted. I think this book will be a massive eye opener for me as it will make me see that not every used to live the way I used to, some would struggle. Anyways I think this will be a great read and I can't wait.

That's all the books I have purchased to read over the summer! I hope you enjoyed this super long review! :)

What book are you thinking of reading over the summer? Let me know in the comments below!

Last Post: Me and My Anxiety | Real Talk

BIG NEWS ALERT!
Also guys I am going to try and post Monday to Friday every week (except for NCS weeks July 25 - Aug 19) and publish at 4pm, would you guys like that or not? Tell me in the comments below!

Have a nice day,
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment